My Love Affair with Wales

7:14:00 pm

 Small towns and quiet places speak to me. They are where magic breathes, adventures are hiding around every corner, and where anything is possible. 


There isn’t a gas station every 2 miles selling newspapers that scream about harsh realities. They can be almost a world apart. Small towns, often surrounded by nature of some form, are the humble beginnings from which great characters stumble out of. They are the places in times of trouble, where people dream of coming home to. In Wales, I was 3440 miles away from home, but it had the feeling like I had just walk through my mother’s purple front door.

I fell in love with Wales. I didn’t even see that much of it, just the small village of Saundersfoot and some of the countryside but dear lord, it’s beautiful. For me, as a creative soul, it was a visual orgasm. I mean look at this!!


It’s like something out of a Faerie story. I was just waiting for Oberon to come whisk me away to his wooded kingdom, or for one of Thomas Hardy’s characters to stumble into my path. It was the most peaceful setting. I’m all for excitement and the noise of the city, but tranquility like this can really take your breath away. I could have sat for hours on the beach at Saundersfoot and sketched (if I could draw at all, which I can’t), or lounged in the field just before the beach, writing a reimagining of some long lost fairy tale.

Saundersfoot’s beach is an interesting affair. It’s gloomy and rough, covered in rocks, but that ocean view can’t be ignored. Though it wasn’t a warm and sunny beach day on my visit, it was still awesome to sink your toes into the sand and see all the marine life traipsing along the shoreline.  


One last note on Saundersfoot; the food is unbelievably delicious. Most small towns in Wales pride themselves on their local wears and every restaurant we went to only cooked with food that was in season and could be found locally. I wish more places would be like this because each and every bite was a dream. I’ve never eaten so well.

As is plain to see, I adored Wales and would endorse visiting it to anyone who asked. The next time I have the chance to travel to Europe, I’m going to make sure I have time to visit more of this gorgeous country. I need to go back to see if it was, in fact, true love, or just a beautiful fling.






You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Subscribe