Discovering Your Style

4:52:00 pm

I love fashion. It's fun, creative, exciting, and most of all, it's pwetty. Unfortunately, I happen to be extremely unfashionably-coordinated. I'll buy all the right clothes, have the right fit, be on trend, and yet somehow it comes out looking awkward, out of place, and completely out of style. When I was in high school, I embraced this and went as far out of my way as possible to look insane and awkward. Now that I'm older and have dialed my crazy back a bit, I'm more interested in finding a style that works for me. I won't say I've 100% found it yet, but I am getting closer. On the way to getting closer, I of course hit some bumps. I thought I'd share them to maybe help someone know what to avoid.


#1) Look to your style icons for advice and inspiration, but know that their style might not necessarily be your style. 

In recent years as I've tried to find my "look", there have been several actresses, youtubers, models, friends, and so forth whose wardrobes I have coveted. My best example would be Zoella or Victoria of IntheFrow. I love their personal styles and think they always look so amazing and put together. I would go out, scour my local shops for something similar, and get super excited when I found the perfect piece. Either when trying the piece on or after coming down from buyer's excitment at home, I would realize that this perfect item wasn't so perfect for me. It wouldn't flatter my figure like it did for my idol, or the colour wouldn't be right with my hair or skin. There are a million different reasons why something that works on one person, won't on another. Also, people dress a certain way because it is what they feel comfortable in and it is what suits their lifestyle. If your fashion idols are superstars, chances are your lifestyle and theirs could be drastically different. The best way I've found to get around this disappointment is, instead of going out looking for something identical to what your fashion guru is wearing, consider what it is about their clothes or fashion sense that you admire. With Victoria, I admire how super classy and put together she always looks. Instead of going out and buying her wardrobe piece for piece, I take note of how she uses colour-blocking in her outfits, or how Zoe utilizes mono-chrome colours to enhance and not overwhelm an outfit. Figure out what it is about their taste in fashion that you so admire and use that as a starting point for your own taste to grow from. 


#2) Remember: You only see what they want you to see (as said to me by one of my very best friends).

When you are at home scrolling through fashion posts on tumblr, or daydreaming about what it would be like to have Emma Watson's wardrobe, or feeling blue when you see how amazing your friends looked at that last party and how in all the facebook photos you look frumpy and unflattering; remember that fashion is a presentation, and you only ever see what someone wants you to. Don't judge your lazy-day comfy outfit against someone's night-on-the-town ensemble. They are two different styles for two completely different times. Instead of comparing your outfit to theirs in a negative way, again look for what you love about their outfits and how you can emulate it in your own way. Understand that anyone, no matter how fashionable, has their own lazy day look, and it may be just as unflattering as yours (this is mine. Oh yeah. Excuse the bad photo quality. It was taken with a very old Blackberry...).


#3) Take pictures of your self!

#Selfie! Except instead of focusing on your lovely face, take full body photos. This can help so much with discovering what clothes work and don't work with your body type. Full body photos help you to better see what is cutting you the wrong way, or if a colour really doesn't work well with your hair/skin, etc. Taking photos is also really good for helping develop a style. When you look at the photo, it's a lot more obvious whether or not the style is one that suits you and your unique personality. Taking pictures can also be a great way to make fashion a more inclusive activity for you and your friends. You can do goofy (except we are totally, seriously pretending to be models here) photoshoots with your friends where you again can see what looks best on you and bonus, learn which poses are most flattering for your body. Take a camera with you when going on a group shopping trip. You can document outfits when you try them on and better see if they suit you. Clothing store mirrors lie like dogs. Cameras lie less. Plus, if you don't have enough for that outfit today, taking a picture of it can remind you to come back for it when you are flush again.

#4) Trends are trends for a reason.

Before going crazy and buying every item that is on trend for the season, remind yourself that trends and fads are short-lived for a reason. Everyone gets swept up in the excitement of something new (or in a lot of cases something becoming "new" again) and wanting to look like all the magazines. Not every trend will work for you, which is something I definitely learned the hard way. High-waited shorts are all the rage right now. On me however, instead of elongating my legs and making my waist look tiny like they do for all the models, they make my butt disappear and my body look completely out of proportion. I debated ignoring this just to be on trend and be more "fashionable" but realized, it's not fashionable if it doesn't look good on you. If the trend isn't working for you and your body, don't try to make it work. Ignore this trend and wait for one more suited to you to come along. That's the best part of fads and trends, they are very "here today and gone tomorrow". While you are waiting for that next trend, why not try to set your own?  


I could probably go on with a few more tips but I think I'll stop here before I overwhelm you with words. If you would like me to expand on this post, or have any other handy tips, please do let me know in the comments.

All photos (except my bad blackberry photo) by Jared Simpson
     

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Subscribe