In Defense Of "The Selfie"

3:30:00 pm

"Selfie" has by now undoubtedly been added to the Oxford English dictionary. It is a prevalent activity in our society. Everyone and their great aunt knows what a selfie is and everyone has taken one at least once. And yet, there is a huge stigma/judgement towards people who regularly take selfies. I, being a self proclaimed "Selfie-Aficionado", am constantly at the butt of jokes about selfies, selfie sticks, vanity, etc. That's probably why I chose to write this. With a society that has so much social media and has had so many advances with cameras, why is the selfie such a bad thing?

Some say it's vain. Well, so what if it is? Women today are bombarded by advertisements and songs and movements all about learning to love yourself and the way you look and to not let society shame you. So why then do those same people make fun of girls (and guys) for taking pictures of their faces? Being a little vain sometimes and taking selfies can be a great confidence booster, whether the selfies get posted to social media or not. Isn't confidence what we are trying to promote women having? So why begrudge someone a little time in front of the camera. It's not hurting you and if you really don't like their face then just scroll past the post. It's not hard.

I'm very big into documenting my life. I have scrapbooks, keep a memories box, put photos up on my walls. I want to be able to look back on my life and enjoy it. I want to be able to share my life with my children. Taking selfies is a way to do that. Taking them while you travel can document all the places you've seen. Pictures of just you and your face at different ages can be a fun thing for your kids or grand kids to flip through years from now. They can laugh at your hair choices and see how much they might look like you. A picture is a moment in time saved forever. What's wrong with that picture being of your face?      

I like my face. I think it's a good one. It's worked for me for twenty-three years. I also enjoy putting on a little make up, finding the right clothes and lighting, and taking some shots with my iphone. I'm going to keep doing it whether people make fun of me or not. One of my main reasons? Who knows if I'm going to like my face or like getting my photo taken a few years from now? My mom hates getting her photo taken and often has to be convinced to selfie with me. What if I become the same way? I'd rather take an obnoxious amount of pictures now while it's something I have fun with than not and maybe regret it later. It's not like taking a photo uses hours of your time. It only takes a second and a click of a button.

I get that "selfies" are not everyone's cup of tea. My only wish is that people would just let go of the hang-ups and judgement. My message to those who love a good selfie; don't let the disapproval of others keep you from doing something you love. Raise those selfie-sticks high with pride and let out the call of our people without fear!

"CHEESE!"



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Subscribe