How To Make the Most of Your Study Time

12:22:00 pm


I finished University two years ago this October and was very excited to get out of the studying mindset. Unfortunately, I was not yet completely free from the grind. I've had to start a course for my job and even though it's only been two years, I found myself a little rusty in the studying department. The tips listed below are how I got myself back into exam-ready shape and hopefully they can help you get back into the studying mindset, no matter how long or little it's been.

Tip #1: Do NOT make your highlighter your bestie.

- This may seem counter productive. Of course you should use a highlighter to focus on useful information. It is deeming what is useful that is the issue. A lot of the time when we haven't studied in a while, we forget how to narrow down the important facts and in haste or worry highlight everything. My advice is to put down the highlighter until after you've read the entire chapter through. Only use the highlighter when you go back through to focus on topics you think will definitely be on the exam or topics you are still fuzzy on.

Tip #2: Reread the text!

- I know this is the worst thing to do, especially if what you are studying is not a particular subject of interest for you. Rereading the same boring thing might want to drive you to drink but it will also help your brain soak up the information a lot easier. Repetition is one of the best ways people learn.

Tip #3: Use any and all extra study guides and materials provided to you, even if they aren't mandatory.

- Sometimes courses will offer online activities or module quizzes or other learning tools to help with your cramming. These activities can seem pointless or overly-simplified, or even a waste of time to some. I agree that time could be better spent reading the actual material but don't discount these activities, especially the easy ones. These learning tools, like repetition, help to cement the ideas in your brain. The easy ones are great because the help you to remember the material and also give you a boost to your ego. That boost can help keep you from becoming discouraged which can be poison to studying.

Tip #4: Try not to study TOO much (or at all if possible) the day of the exam.

- Cramming hardcore for a big test is understandable. However, it has been my experience with myself and with friends at school that if you try to cram too much the day of the exam, you will forget a lot of what you've studied. The only thing that will stick in your head is the stuff you just over-reviewed. Let you mind have time to relax and breathe before your test. Play a mind-stimulating game like Sudoku or do a crossword puzzle. They will keep your mind awake and firing without pushing out all the information you worked so hard to learn.

I hope these tips help anyone who is trying to get back into the swing of studying, especially since we are in the middle of midterm season and exams are just around the corner! Let me know if you have any great studying advice. I still have one exam to go so I can use all the help!

- OJ

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Subscribe